This is actually an upgrade to the artists existing website. His previous website was built in Flash and was, well,... out of date. It had no search engine placement whatsoever and was only 640 x 480 pixels. Still it was, for its time, a pretty cool little site. I offered to simply resize the flash container to full up an entire browser page but, he opted for a complete rebuild. The layout is entirely his vision with my input, specifically on the image slider.
Ever so often I am tasked with building, maintaining or upgrading websites for non-profits. These organizations are of course limited in their funding and so the task is often done in increments over several months. In this case the website http://alternativestodv.org/, a women's health organization and shelter located in Riverside California had a website that really needed some work. It is a Wordpress website that had fallen into disrepair.
This website was designed by Nicole Beale. I built the markup, the SASS and wrote various modules and modified the Core PHP as was necessary. The CMS was Symfony Apostrophe 1.5. It was sort of an experiment in a way. The previous website was built in Symfony Apostrophe 1.5 and we didn't want to have to migrate the content and re-teach the employees on a whole new CMS. The problem was that Apostrophe was never designed for mobile websites.